Saturday, November 24, 2012

Johnny Wander by Ananth Panagariya and Yuko Ota


            JohnnyWander, a not-quite slice of life comic combined with the occasional short story arc, is among the many webcomics on my weekly reading list, and among my favorites to boot.  I came across it through Applegeeks, another webcomic Ananth Panagariya collaborated on (and which sadly seems to be on permanent hiatus as of 2010) – in both cases, Ananth has typically acted as the writer, with Yuko Ota doing all of the artwork. 

            Although I’ve been following Johnny Wander since it’s conception, it’s been among the most consistent (visually and in terms of updating schedule) and accessible webcomics I’ve seen in a long while, which is definitely nice when dealing with newer readers (or on the occasion where it’s been tough to check for the bi-weekly updates).  There’s no real particular plot to follow (unless you happen across the occasional several-page short story), and the nature of the comic as a whole is more like a diary than anything else.  “Wander” is very apropos for the comic, given the content, as the reader essentially wanders in and out of the lives of Yuko, Ananth, and their friends.

I also adore Yuko’s work, which another reason why I love the comic: she has that great ability to simplify things just enough and not lose any detail, and although it doesn’t show due to the monochromatic nature of the comic, has a great sense of color which makes her work all the more enjoyable (not to mention her sense of design).  I swear one of these days I’m going to get my hands on a Maw patch or a CMYcat shirt.

Yuko and I share similar sentiments about the impending end of college.

No comments:

Post a Comment